On 29th December, 2012, the Holy See announced the creation of Gboko Diocese by the Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI. The territory of the diocese covers 10,692 square kilometres, with a total population of 1,594,282. Catholics in the diocese are 708,641, representing 53.1% of the total population. There are Thirty parishes, Twenty-seven quasi parishes and one Chaplaincy (fifty-eight in all). Gboko diocese is bounded by Makurdi Local Government of Benue State on the North; Cameroon Republic on the North East and Ogoja Local Government of Cross River State on the South-East. Currently, the diocese has One Hundred and Seventy-Five indigenous priests, including the Bishop, Eight Deacons, One Hundred and two Senior Seminarians, and Three Hundred and Eighty Junior Seminarians. Seven Male Religious (including one expatriate missionary) and Twenty-three female Religious are currently serving in the diocese.

Gboko town is the seat of the diocese and also the traditional headquarters of the Tiv people or nation. There are seven Local governments in the area covered by the diocese, namely, Buruku, Gboko, Konshisha, Kwande, Ushongo and Vandeikya. The territory is basically rural but all headquarters of the Local Government Areas and other places may be classified as towns.The diocese was part of the former Apostolic Prefecture of the lower Niger. Fr. Alexander Leon Lejeune, C.S.Sp, who succeeded Fr. Rene Pawlas, C.S.Sp as Apostolic prefect is believed to be the first to make contacts with the Tiv people. After the death of Fr. Lejeune in 1905, the Congregation for the Evangelization of the peoples (Propaganda Fidei) appointed Fr. Jules Douvry C.S.S.p in 1917 as Administrator for the whole of Cameroon.Fr. Douvry also made exploratory journey among the Tiv people to find out the possibility of establishing a station there but when he travelled to France, he could not return to Nigeria due to ill-health that led to his death in 1924. Before his death, however, he sent a report to Ogoja, expressing hope for the future of the Church among the Tiv people.[1] Fr. Douvry worked together with Fr. Mellet, C.S.Sp. All these priests were French nation'.